If you are an international student aspiring to get a master’s degree from a top business school in an English-speaking country, zeroing in on the b-schools that suit your needs is just the beginning. Not do you have to fill out endless MBA applications, but also take an English proficiency test. It could be one of these 3 test: PTE (Pearson Test of English), IELTS (International English Language Testing System) or TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language). Your admission into your target university depends upon, among other criteria, your score on the English language test.
Here are some general tips to help you make your choice:
- The IELTS score has a higher acceptance rate for admission to universities in UK and Australia. On the contrary, the TOEFL score is more commonly accepted in USA. The PTE test score is accepted by many universities all over the world.
- As far as the content of the exam is concerned, PTE has state-of-the-art testing material.
- In the PTE, there is a fixed exam pattern, which makes it relatively easy to score better. For test preparation material and mock tests, click PTENOTE
- The durations of the IELTS, TOEFL and PTE are 2 hour 45 minutes, 3 to 4 hours and about 3 hours, respectively. If you have noticed that you get distracted while taking longer tests, it may make more sense to opt for tests that last for a short period.
NOTE: It may seem like the IELTS test will be finished in the shortest time span. However, the entire process takes 2 days to complete.
- The assessment in case of PTE exam is fully computerized, a good reason why you should take PTE test. In contrast, the IELTS and TOEFL consist of evaluations performed by human beings. In IELTS, applicants need to speak face-to-face with a human, which can be make some students nervous. Such candidates may opt for PTE or TOEFL, in which have to speak into a microphone. Afterwards, the recorded voice is assessed by unbiased computer algorithms.
- PTE delivers the results within 5 business days. On the contrary, TOEFL and IELTS may take up to 15 days to declare the results.
- While the IELTS and TOEFL take place on fixed dates, flexible PTE test dates and time slots are available throughout the year.